Tuesday, 12 April 2016

Gothambu payasam/ Wheat payasam

This is my husband's favourite payasam. When first time I prepared this he appreciated me a lot and told me after so long he  tasted his favourite  payasam the same way he used to have from one of his neighbour families during childhood days.That is a great compliment because I heard lot of time from my mother in law,that neighbour used to prepare very tasty payasam.  Sorry I bored you...we can check how the preparation..


Ingredients
1 cup broken wheat
1 ½ cup first coconut milk extract (onnam pal)
3 cup second coconut milk extract (randam pal) (I prepared coconut milk from two coconut. First I blended the coconut with little hot water then collected first extract by straining then the same coconut residues used to collect second extract, for that I added normal water and blended again).
270g jaggery
2 ½ tbsp ghee/ clarified butter
cashews and raisins
2 tsp cardamom powder
1 tsp cumin powder
pinch of salt

Preparation
1)    First take jaggery in a pan add enough water (1/2- 3/4 cup is enough). Heat to melt. Strain to remove any debris. After straining I got 1 ½ cup melted jaggery. Keep this aside.
 

2)  Wash wheat and cook by adding enough water. You can pressure cook it until three whistle. Wash the cooked wheat and keep aside


3)  Take a heavy bottom pan, if you have uruli that is better.  Add ghee in heated pan. Fry cashews and raisins. Then drain and keep aside

4)    In the same ghee add cooked and washed wheat. Sauté it for 3-4 minutes in ghee

5)    Now add melted jaggery. Mix well and add second extract of coconut milk



6)    Add salt (small pinch), cardamom powder and cumin powder. Mix well

7)  When coconut milk thickened and reduced the volume add first extract. Once you added first extract no need to keep in flame for more time. So after 1 minute you can turn off flame before that add cashews and raisins.




Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time

Your comment and suggestion will be my inspiration