Tuesday, 12 April 2016

Palada payasam/ Palada pradhaman




When I prepare palada pradhaman I use to add cashews, nuts and cardamom powder. In this preparation I haven’t added any of these. I followed Pazhayidam Mohanan Namboothiri's way of preparation that I saw in a Malayalam TV channel. But I made small changes to get the exact color.
    
Ingredients
100g Ada (I used store bought ada)
1 litre milk
1 litre water
2 tbsp ghee/ clarified butter
1 cup sugar

1)     Wash the adas and soak in hot water for half to 1 hour (or still the ada becomes soft).



2)    Heat a heavy bottom pan (uruli is the one traditionally using for payasam preparation. I don’t have urulu so I used heavy bottom pan). Add ghee into it



3)    Then add water, after 1 minute add milk into it. Add 2 ½ tbsp sugar (from your 1 cup sugar). Mix and let milk boil meantime you need to stir continuously till milk boil (to prevent milk to sticking to the bottom). Once the milk started to boil you don’t need to stir continuously you can do it occasionally.



















4)    Allow to thicken the milk mixture. When you see all the added water evaporated and milk is thickened and its color slightly changed add soaked and washed adda (wash twice). Let ada to cook













5)    (This step is optional- because I haven’t got the colour that I hoping for eventhogh milk is thickened enough, I decided to play trick that I hered from somewhere. So for that I took 2 tbsp sugar from the measured 1 cup sugar and added into a pan with little water. Then continuously stirred still sugar got  caramelised. Add this caramelised sugar solution into the payasam)
6)   Once ada cooked, add remaining sugar. The consistency of payasam is when you run your finger in a spoon containing bit of payasam and that line remaining as such. In this stage you can turn off your flame and after 10 minutes serve


Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time

Your comment and suggestion will be my inspiration